masungi georeserve: finally another adventure

So this is me trying to stay sane while the world is going through a pandemic. I've been so anxious since last week so I'm consciously exerting effort to busy myself. I actually just published two new posts on my old blog a.k.a my Sanity Project. Shared more about that on my previous post! Meanwhile, on this side of the web, the next item on the back burner is this trip to Masungi Georeserve two years back. Oo, ako na! Ako na ang madaming backlog. :P

Alright, first off, can I just say na ang taba ko dito?! This was way back February 2018 and I was on the process of losing the extra weight I gained from my two-year corporate stint. Blame it on all the free pizzas! Haha! Aside from my weight issues, I was also bummed out about life in general and I was really telling myself that I should travel again. Hence, the Tagaytay trip with Jhov from the same month, and then finally this, another exciting adventure.

Just so I can give a brief introduction about the place, I borrowed these words from their site..
The Masungi Georeserve is a conservation area and a rustic rock garden tucked in the rainforests of Rizal. Masungi’s name is derived from the word “masungki” which translates to “spiked” - an apt description for the sprawling limestone landscape found within.
In this sanctuary, guests will be able to commune with nature, and reenergise themselves while doing so. Wander through our pathways for an encounter with wildlife and plant species. Enjoy light snacks before exiting the trail. Learn more about the history of the place introducing you to a community rich with heritage and life.
Moving on, I went there with my Accenture friends - Dwin, Joel, Monique, and she tagged along her sister and the boyfran. Silina was supposed to join too but she got sick prior. (Or baka tinamad lang sya. Char! ✌️) But I'm sure it would have been more fun with her around. Hehe! Biglang bawi! :)


There are different packages offered by Masungi but we booked day hike of the Discovery Trail. Our adventure started with a little briefing in what they call Silungan. It's also where we prepared for the hike -- helmets, water refills, bathroom needs. We were also assigned a park ranger to guide us through the entire hike. And then off we went!



The first highlight of the trek was Sapot. It is a view deck made with tension cables that were spun like a giant.. guess what? SPIDER WEB, of course! Di nyo nahulaan no? Hahaha! For me, this is the most iconic feature of Masungi. It was all over Instagram when Masungi gained popularity few years back. Unfortunately, it was drizzling when we were there. I can clearly remember how we were cramming to get our solo shots taken. We didn't even have creative group shots to boast of! Well, not that we can pull off good group photos. It's just that we weren't even given a fair chance to try. Haha!



After Sapot followed a long trek. I remember our park ranger giving us disposable raincoats to protect ourselves (and our gadgets!) from the rain that's getting heavier. Sobrang hassle! I remember removing the rain coat once only to wear it back when the rain started pouring again. And then when we finally found shelter, we were given ample time to rest (and to take photos!) I also remember us catching up with each other's lives. We talked about work too! Kadiri, no?




The next main attraction of Masungi was Yungib ni Ruben. It is a cave formation that is a part of karst landscape daw. So Google naman ako ano itong Karst na ito. Hehe! So according to our ever reliable friend Google, it is a topography formed from the dissolution of soluble rocks such as limestone, dolomite, and gypsum. Di pa rin natin gets no? Sige, move on na tayo! Hahaha!

I wish I had better photos of the cave itself but unfortunately, none. I only got to get photos from Monique and she didn't have cave photos either. I think Joel has but it's easier to link up this photo from the web sooo. That's Yungib ni Ruben right there!



The next attractions were Ditse, Patak and Duyan. The three are always listed in that order but based on experience, you'll get to Patak first, and then it's connected to Ditse, and finally the Insta-famous Duyan. So Patak is the drop-shape air house where you can make emote-emote as seen on the photo above. Sabi nga, malayo ang tingin, wala namang tinatanaw.. ♪♫♪ Char!

Once you pass through Patak, you'll get to Ditse. Yep the photo below. It's a peek where you can experience a 360 view of the vast forest reserve. Lula levels, ganon! And then on the side, it has a rope ladder that will lead you to Duyan.


Photo below is the rope ladder! Lula levels ulit, ganoin! To be honest, I got a bit nervous going down. When I was younger, I don't remember feeling scared when doing stunts like this. But as I aged, I feel like I have mellowed. Siguro, I love my life more now. Hahaha!


Connected to the ladder was the famous Duyan. Aside from Sapot, this is another Insta-famous attraction of Masungi. I swear I've seen so many creative shots on Instagram featuring this giant hammock. As for us, syempre hindi na naman kami creative. Haha! We just lay down on the hammock, posed and smiled without conformity. Iba kami eh! :P




Next attraction: Nanay and Tatay. These are two peaks which are natural formation of rocks that are piled on top of one another. The taller one is Tatay and it is the highest peak in Masungi. The climb was actually easy because they modified it with stairs and railings, but of course, it was tiring. The photos below are from Tatay and you can easily spot Nanay from behind our backs. (second photo below)




That's Nanay behind us!

And then finally, Bayawak, Liwasan and Sawa. Bayawak and Sawa are rope courses that would lead you back to the starting point while Liwasan is a valley-like resting area. At this point, we do not have much photos anymore. A.) We're tired already. (B) We're excited for the snacks. or (C) Both. Hehehe! I'd say both. 



To cap of the day, I had a mini photo shoot at the cosmos field near Silungan (the starting point remember?) Thanks to Jane, Monique's sister, for indulging me. Truth be told, tuwang tuwa talaga ko sa mga Cosmos. I actually love flowers in their plant form, but I hate them in their bouquet form.  Hahaha! Nagets nyo yun? :)




I'd say that the Masungi trip was literally and figuratively, a breathe of fresh air for me. Prior to Tagaytay and this, it was two years of all work and family for me. I seemed to have forgotten "ME" in my list of priorities. But I know better now. I have progressed in so many ways and honestly, I've been having a grand 2020 before this pandemic happened. 

Speaking of pandemic.. despite all the anxieties that I have to fight every single day, I am still grateful for a lot of things. For one, I thank the Lord that even if we're on community quarantine, we still get to work. Our family still gets to earn. Two, I'm thankful every single day that we have food on our table. And three, I'm thankful that even if our family members had to be quarantined in three different homes, it is now that we get to appreciate one another more. My brother and I are actually on speaking terms again after he had to step up as the Katniss Everdeen of the family. Haha! Aside from that, he's a front liner in his own right, being an employee of the Barangay Hall. Somehow it eases my guilt towards other families who are having a more difficult time. :( 

And lastly, due to the community quarantine, it is now more than ever that I am looking forward to more adventures! But for now, we gotta do our part in containing this virus. Above all, we gotta strengthen our faith and keep praying for better days. This too shall pass. ðŸŒ»

Share This Article:

, , , ,

COMMENTS

0 comments :

Post a Comment